Thursday, March 7, 2013

I Used To Be That Mom!

KK,

Every Tuesday, a good friend watches T Bear and Cub so I can go grocery shopping for an hour.  This time is very precious to me as you can imagine.  This last Tuesday, as I pulled into the parking lot of the grocery store, there was a strange sound coming from my car.  It sounded like a wheel was coming lose.  Instead of staying and shopping, I drove straight to the tire shop.

While I was waiting for my wheels/tires to be inspected and fixed, I watched a cute young mom walk in.  She was dressed adorably with tall brown boots and the sweetest little one-year-old girl on hip (she had the cutest black boots).  I listened to this mom ask the workers if it would really take 45 minutes to repair a flat tire because she didn't think she could entertain her daughter that long in the waiting room.  In mind my I thought, Yeah, you think one kid is tough, be glad you don't have three boys!

Then as this mom walked over to the waiting area to sit, I became very self conscious and screamed in my head, DON'T LOOK AT ME! DON'T LOOK AT ME! as I slouched in my chair.

I suddenly had realized what I looked like.  I was wearing track pants stained with food, a T-shirt with spit-up on it, tennis shoes, and no make-up.  I had showered that morning, but my hair was quickly pulled back in a not-cute pony tail.  All of a sudden it hit me: I used to be that mom!  I used to be dressed cute with a little one year boy (also dressed well) on my hip.  Now I was a frumpy mom with three boys and a never expiring look of exhaustion.  

Oh it was depressing.  For the first time, I wished I had my other boys were with me, so that everyone around me would understand why I looked the way I did.  I needed my crazy boys to explain my sad physical state and appearance.  

I thought I about telling that sweet mom to not have any more children or she would not end up like me.  But I couldn't even talk to her because I am sure she was wondering why I looked so pathetic with just one sleeping baby in a car seat at 4 o'clock in the afternoon.

It is a sad story.  Honestly, I know I am not looking the best right now, but I am hoping this phase doesn't last forever.  Besides, I hear these little kids grow up quickly.  Despite wearing sweat pants and T-shirts, I am trying to enjoy this time of having young children.  I just should probably not go out in public very often.

When I used to be "that" mom.

-Miss T
(I am not posting any pictures of myself right now for obvious reasons.)

1 comment:

  1. Tenley, you are one of the best moms I know! And if that means you end up wearing sweats and tshirts for the sake of teaching your boys vs. primping, then so be it...it will be short lived because as we all know, they grow up way too quickly. I know this probably doesn't help the frumpy feeling (which I agree, doesn't feel so good), but just know that as an outsider looking at you, I think you're beautiful because of who you are and I admire you.

    ReplyDelete