Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What I did for Valentine's Day

COOKIES WITH PERSONALITY.

Hey Miss T,

Since it's the last day of February, I thought I would make a final post in tribute of V day. Also, because I am so proud of my first sugar cookie endeavor, I simply cannot skip telling you about my efforts.

Mr. P's birthday is 3 days before V day. Long ago when he was a missionary in Boston, Mom had made some sugar cookies and let me frost them and send them to Mr. P for a V day/birthday package. I wrapped them up in saran wrap and put them in a shoe box and off they went to Mr. P.

This year, I felt a desire to get something of a tradition going and I got the recipe from Mom. Then I set off on the cookie cooking adventure.

Having minimal experience with sugar-cookie making, I ran into a bump in the road when the dough was finished and the instructions said "Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch." Roll out the dough. I knew how to do that...but I quickly realized I had NO ROLLING PIN. Time to get creative!

You know those spice jars? They are kinda round. And they totally work to roll out cookie dough, especially if you want to leave lines in the dough from where the lid attaches.

Then I went to follow the directions that said "cut out cookies" but guess what happened next. Yes. I also had no heart-shaped cookie cutter. I asked Mr. P to make one for me with wire hanger, but after much bending and twisting we both decided that a wire hanger makes for a far better drain clog than a cookie cutter.

So all in all I just decided to cut the cookies out with a knife. I ended up with some cookies that definitely had some personality, but hey--they tasted ok and that's what really matters, right?


I'm just proud of myself for trying. And succeeding. And making Mr. P the best heart-shaped-V-birthday cookies he's ever had. Or will have. Until next year.

Also, he got the Red You Are Special plate out early just for me. Isn't that sweet? I guess I got to be the special one on V day.

Love Special KK

PS: Yes, there are three plates at our V day dinner. Guests are always welcomed at our residence. Even on V day. Stop on by!

2 comments: