Friday, September 17, 2010

Spam Snobbery

Dear Miss T,

Snobbery. It comes in many forms doesn't it?

Wikipedia enlightens us with the definition of snobbery as "A snob is someone who adopts the worldview of snobbery — that some people are inherently inferior to him or her for any one of a variety of reasons, including real or supposed intellect, wealth, education, ancestry, taste, beauty, et cetera." It further describes that "Snobbery existed even in medieval feudal aristocratic Europe, when the clothing, manners, language and tastes of every class were strictly codified by customs or law."

These days our snobbery is so much more than a high-class wealthy European in a movie with a snooty role and amazing clothing. Our snobbery extends much further than that. Let's think of a few.

Do you know any bread snobs? (Big D, this is not a jab at you, I'm just stating the facts) People who refuse to eat the cheap-o white bread that your sandwich (sammich) used to be made out of as a kid.

Do you know any book snobs? People who only read a certain class of book? Harry Potter is just too fiction for them, and of course it all has to end up happily ever after which is so unrealistic.

How about shoe snobs? People who think that the only purpose for a pair of rubbery sneakers from Payless is to drop off at DI.

Well, I make no judgments on anyone who may or may not fit into one of these categories, because let's be honest, we're all snobs when it comes to one thing or another. That's just an unfortunate truth of the human nature that we must try to tame. Well I discovered I was a snob when I was over in Hawaii. I discovered that I was a SPAM snob.

I was reminded of this today because I had SPAM MUSUBI today and it was wonderful!!

Before going to Hawaii, I had never had Spam before. Come on now, fess up all of you. Be honest with yourself. Have you ever had Spam before? When you hear the word Spam do you squirm just a little in your seat, and think "oh gross"? Did your brother make a music video to Weird Al's parody song about Spam detailing how gross it is?

I admit I had these very problems, and when I went to Hawaii, I learned that people had a different view of Spam. They love it! They find it to be delicious? Oh yes. And they cook it with eggs and rice for breakfast, they put it in a sandwich (sammich) for lunch, and they cut it up and put it in the soup for dinner. But the best way of all to eat Spam is of course Spam Musubi. Rice and spam wrapped in seaweed.

I simply must tell you that I came down off of my Spam snobbery shelf and grew to love Spam. It's delicious. Still grosses me out to think about what it is...but mostly I view it as an affordable, delicious way to get some sodium loaded protein.

I invite you to come off of a snob shelf and try something new this week. Spam? Go for it! Let me know what you think.

Love your Spam eating sister.

1 comment:

  1. I think I am a spam snob as well. But the spam musubi does look tempting. I love things wrapped in seaweed!

    ReplyDelete